By Friends of Rider Park
October 30, 2010
Rider Park is a treasure selflessly donated to the people of Lycoming County from the late Thomas J. Rider.
This park has been in existence for over twenty years. The park is used by schools to educate children and by colleges to demonstrate biodiversity. Mountain bikers, hikers, trail runners, cross country skiers, birders, gardeners, and many other clubs, organizations and individuals enjoy the park in every season.
Rider Park’s 868 acres of beautiful vistas and diverse forests are now threatened by development from the gas companies.
Stakes are already in place for two well pads. This would mean the destruction of forest and meadow, the construction of well pads and roads, the noise and pollution from over 8,000 heavy trucks going up and down the park road (2200 per well – in and out) carrying gravel, toxic chemicals, water, sand, etc, glaring flood lights in the night sky, pipeline construction and a possible compressor station.
The park as we know it would virtually cease to exist.
The current owner of Rider Park is the First Community Foundation Partnership of Pennsylvania (FCFPA). The Partnership is entrusted with stewardship of this much-loved and utilized land within our community. The Board of Directors, is scheduled to vote on signing the gas lease on November 8th.
The window of opportunity to save the park is extremely narrow.
Please join with the Friends of Rider Park today.
There are several ways you can help.
1. Sign the “Save Rider Park” petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/7771100/petition.html
2. Visit the Friends of Rider Park website http://www.friendsofriderpark.com
3. Write a letter to your local newspapers
4. Send a letter or email directly to the FCFPA. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Address: 330 Pine Street, Suite 401 Williamsport, PA 17701
5. Post the “Friends of Rider Park” website on your Facebook page, Twitter and other networking sites
6. Forward this message to everyone who may be concerned about this violation of public trust
Help STOP Rider Park from becoming an industrialized gas well drilling site.
The online Petition will be presented to FCFPA on November 8, 2010
Take Action Today!